Marshall scholarship 2018 | Must see: Scholarships at University of Wollongong
Marshall scholarship 2018 Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to forty Scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at an UK institution in any field of study.
As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments and their institutions. Marshall Scholars are talented, independent and wide-ranging, and their time as Scholars enhances their intellectual and personal growth. Their direct engagement with Britain through its best academic programmes contributes to their ultimate personal success.
Marshall scholarship 2018
The objectives of the programme are as follows:
- To enable intellectually distinguished young Americans, their country’s future leaders, to study in the UK.
- To help Scholars gain an understanding and appreciation of contemporary Britain.
- To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in science, technology, the humanities and social sciences and the creative arts at Britain’s centres of academic excellence.
- To motivate Scholars to act as ambassadors from the USA to the UK and vice versa throughout their lives thus strengthening British American understanding.
- To promote the personal and academic fulfilment of each Scholar.
Eligibility: Open only to United States citizens who (at the time they take up their Scholarship) hold a first degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the United States with a minimum GPA of 3.7. To qualify for awards tenable from October 2019, candidates must have graduated from their undergraduate college or university after April 2016.
NB: Persons already studying for or holding a British degree or degree-equivalent qualification are not eligible to apply for a Marshall Scholarship.
Value: University fees, cost of living expenses, annual book grant, thesis grant, research and daily travel grants, fares to and from the United States and, where applicable, a contribution towards the support of a dependent spouse.
Number of Awards: Up to 50 Scholarships awarded annually.
Tenure: The Two Year Marshall Scholarship is tenable for two academic years (ie 22 months), but may be extended by the Commission, though not beyond the end of a third academic year. Third-year extensions are granted by the Commission on a limited basis, for strong academic reasons, subject to the availability of funds. In addition, thanks to the generous support of the following Universities:
- Up to three third-year extensions may be granted by the University of Oxford to those pursuing a doctorate at Oxford.
The One Year Marshall Scholarship is tenable for one academic year (ie 12 months) and cannot be extended.
Applications: Applications are made in one of eight regions in the United States. Candidates may apply in one region only – either that in which they have their permanent home address or ordinary place of residence/employment, or that in which they are studying.
Closing date: (For receipt of applications in appropriate regional centre in US) early-October of year preceding tenure.
Enquiries: Particulars from Commission’s Secretariat at ACU or regional centre in the US.