The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship tries to promote educational access, openings and opportunity while also trying to enhance international diversity and cultural expressions within countries. Thereby bringing together the best of students to enjoy the scholarship opportunities that it offers. – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision and tenacity. It ensures that there is an embedded continuity with their level of academic excellence. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home countries, especially those who are in need of their services.
It is very important to note that the issuing body, especially the AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board, and other expenses) for a period of one international student who will need a visa, which can be preferably an F-1 or -1 student visa that will enable them to study in the United States. However, it is equally important to understand that The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
Other Important things to note: It is estimated that about one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2019. This means that If you are not selected as the 2019 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships, which may cover other areas of need. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you provided, which would help to continue to estimated costs for the 2018-2019 academic year are U.S.$66,717.
For other supplemental scholarships, we have a combined list of different scholarships that can help you in terms of being able to apply for other programs and other funding opportunities to be able to study abroad. Many of these scholarships are fully funded, and can help you offset some of the financial expenses to study abroad.
You are NOT eligible to apply for this scholarships if these apply to you:
- You are an American citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You also are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2017.
- You are an American citizen living in another country.
AU EGLS candidates must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2019. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
It is important to note that preference will be given to:
- Those that are considered International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Those with a minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- Students that have demonstrated the commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students that have accomplished a 95+ TOEFL iBT, 7.0+ IELTS, 600+ paper-based TOEFL (taken on or prior to May 31, 2017), or sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017).
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2019.
- This is another Important one: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at lease 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2019 or whichever one comes first.
It is important to note that The AU EGLS selection process is most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, it may be required that other supporting documents are selected to help enhance the application. Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December 15, 2018.
INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW
- You would have to Complete the online AU EGLS application and Questions 1-4.
- Students may Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Students Submit your official TOEFL or IELTS score results if available (see preferred scores above). These can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. International Admissions will call ETS or IELTS to verify scores on your behalf, or by a representative.
- Students would have to omplete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2018, or by January 15, 2019 at the latest. Please note that students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- It is of importance that you understand that If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA such as USAP, CCC, Opportunity Grants, Diana Kamal Scholarship Search, or similar, or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF.
- Furthermore, students should bear in mind that If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$66,717 (estimated costs for first year of study).
Skype interviews will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com